Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Setting

So much for all my resolutions to blog more often! Again, apologies to all those people who popped by, hoping to read something new and were left disappointed! In my defence, however, I've spent two great months spending all my free time curled up on the sofa with some fabulous books from some top authors!

Looking at the massive pile of books which I've put in my keeper box, I started to wonder about settings. I know that most people love reading books set in exotic locations - Cyprus, Spain, Italy, Greece, South America, Australia, Paris, etc. Now, I enjoy reading books set in those locales, but maybe it's because I live in a country where the sun shines uninterrupted all year long, but give me a book set in Cornwall, Scotland, Yorkshire or rural England and I'm hooked! I just love the sheer romanticism of it all - the windswept beaches, the miles and miles of rolling countryside, the moors, the green hills, the derelict castles, and the beauty of rural communities.

So, what are you favourites settings?

6 comments:

Ktrek said...

I noticed in your profile that you are a fan of classic movies. I'd like to invite you to a social network I started just for classic movie fans. It's similar to MySpace but is exclusive to classic movie fans. I think you would really enjoy it. Here is the link:

http://goldenageofhollywood.ning.com/

Hope to see you there!

Kevin
aka Ktrek

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi, Julie,
I find place, and the spirit of place, very important in my writing. I enjoy using overseas locations in my romantic thrillers - these give me 'scope' for adventure and a certain dangerous glamour. For my historical romances I tend to write about English settings: I find the wildlife, nature and history very inspiring. If you enjoy Britain and the English countryside, you may like the picture of spring flowers I have on my blog at the moment.
Best wishes,
Lindsay Townsend
Please visit my website at www.lindsaytownsend.com

and my blog at http://lindsaysbookchat.blogspot.com

Phillipa said...

Hi Julie!

I'm so glad you like books et in England and Cornwall - (I wonder why? Could it be my next in set there!). Thank you for your post on my blog too.

Karen said...

I'm loving books set in Italy right now, after reading Love Falls by Esther Freud! You can almost feel the sunshine...

lidia said...

Julie,

Please email me. My hard drive crashed and I no longer have your email.

Lidia