Friday, April 20, 2007

Catching up Again

I've been neglecting this blog again, but it's really not my fault. Now, that the pc troubles have eased, I've had a house full of the most demanding builders to contend with. Luckily, their work is done and after spending almost a week cleaning up the mess they left me with, I can relax and more importantly read! It's taken me a week to get through a particular book when usually I read three to four books in that same space.

I've been visiting blog land and romance message board in the meantime and a scandal brewed because of a particular book which asked that age old question - Is it rape or forced seduction?

The book in question is Anna Campbell's Claiming the Courtesan and even though I've not read I'm intrigued as it seems that opinions on this particular novel are divided - some people hate it whilst others love it.

Now, as I said, I've not read it so I can't comment on the content, but what I will say is that it's great that a writer and a publishing house took a chance and run a risk. Secondly, whenever I visit a messageboard, it seems that readers are moaning that the historical romance has grown stagnant and that every single book features the same characters in the same situations which we've read a million times before, so surely even if we don't like something, we should at least applaud someone who's tried to do something different?

No comments: